Slow release protein or casein

September 14, 2020 by No Comments

What is it?

The casein is the main soluble protein of which milk is composed (80%), the other 20% corresponding to whey protein.

It is characterized by its slow digestion and absorption . This occurs due to its low solubility, it forms micelles that coagulate in the stomach, slowing down this process.

In addition, it is considered a protein of high biological value since it has all the essential amino acids and has a good digestibility capacity.

Contains other micronutrients such as iron, copper, phosphorus, calcium and zinc.

Casein is found in all dairy products except serum. Different types of milk differ in their concentration of amino acids.

Proteins that form it.

The main proteins that are part of casein are:

  • Kappa casein
  • Beta-casein
  • Alpha S1 casein
  • Alpha S2 casein

When to take

As its main characteristic is slow release and digestion, it is recommended to take:

  • In periods of fasting: avoid catabolism, that is, loss of muscle mass
  • Post training : in order to repair damaged fibers during training
  • Before sleeping since we will be between 6 and 10 hours without making any protein intake: promotes a positive nitrogen balance

Do sis.

There is no exact dose for the entire population. Each person is different and has different nutritional goals and protein requirements.

It is necessary to take into account the total protein consumed throughout the day and the different sources of which is obtained.

The average usually ranges between 20 and 40 grams per dose

Differences between casein and whey

The main differences between casein and a whey protein are the following:

The release of amino acids : in a whey the first amino acids begin to be released after a period of between 20 and 30 minutes, the amount per hour being between 8 and 10 grams. In casein the release per hour is 6 to 8 grams.

The digestion of casein is slow, providing a greater feeling of satiety , prolonging its effect and increasing protein synthesis for longer, whey protein, on the contrary, is digested quickly.

Types of casein.

There are two types of casein that are marketed in the market, their main difference is the method or way of obtaining each type.

  • micellar casein is obtained through a filtering process, without resorting to chemical substances. In its composition we find 85-92% protein and very low levels of fat and lactose.
  • The caseinate sodium is a casein isolate that differs mainly from the previous one because when the production process is carried out, the micelles are broken and they are combined with a source of calcium. Contains approximately 90% of its weight in protein, low in fat and lactose (less than 1%) .

Its benefits

  • Helps to maintain muscle mass : since its release entails a much slower process compared to other types of proteins, it is ideal for long periods in which we are not going to ingest protein (intermittent fasting …) as well as to take before sleep and make sure that the body has it when necessary.
  • Anti-catabolic action: helps and contributes to prevent loss of muscle mana, both in periods of deficit, as well as its profit.
  • High biological value : it has all the essential amino acids so it will not be necessary to supplement it with other supplements or foods to achieve this.
  • Compared to a whey protein, bread casein has a absorption rate of 6-7 grams per hour, whey protein of 8-10 grams.
  • The release and absorption of amino acids from casein can last for a period of 3 to 7 hours.
  • Being rich in calcium, it favors the health and maintenance of bones.
  • It is satiating given to its slow digestion .
  • Contains glutamine which will favor our recovery and regenerate our tissues.

Intolerances and precautions.

You can take casein anyone who does not present any pathology that indicates otherwise, medical contraindication or intolerant to casein.

La casein intolerance is caused by an abnormal response of the immune system to casein proteins. It usually appears in the first years of life in most cases, unlike lactose intolerance, which can begin at any time, not influenced by age.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *